Zion Lutheran Women's Society (LWML)

 

History

  The first women’s society at Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church began in 1911. The first constitution was written in the German language. In 1923, the first monthly meeting notes were written in the English language. There were 13 members that year.

  During the 1940’s, the dues collected at the monthly meetings were used to support tornado and flood victims, the Children’s Friend Society located in Fulda, MN, and to send to poor and needy children in Germany. Also during this time, they sent packages to “the boys” from the area who were serving in the Armed Forces in World War II around the globe. They made donations to the Red Cross and purchased War Bonds. Their first “Mission Festival” was held on a Sunday evening in 1941. Zion’s Society became an official member of the LCMS Women’s Missionary League in 1945.

  During its 102 year history, the Women’s Society has evolved from sewing circles, to Bible study circles, to two collective Bible study groups and three smaller service groups. Throughout these changes, Zion LWML has been a group of dedicated women who have served the Lord through fellowship, fundraising, and mission support. Not only do they support missions monetarily, but through the giving of their time and talents as well. They have served many local projects as well as National and International Projects. The women work individually and collectively on various missions and projects.

  All women communicant members who are age 18 are automatically members of the LWML at Zion. The Society uses “mite” boxes or “mission” boxes to collect coins to support mission projects within the District and National levels. They also currently work on collecting supplies and putting together health kits and layette kits in addition to their support for many local agencies.

  Monthly fellowship is achieved through their meetings, mission projects, Women’s Teas, and the congregational potluck meals following worship services. These potluck meals are held on the first Sunday of each month from September through May.

© 2017 Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community